TONIGHT’S GUESTS: John Mejia and Nicole Gervacio
Good evening everyone… and welcome to Full Circle, your cultural affairs radio magazine produced by members of the First Voice Apprenticeship Program. This show was written, produced, and recorded in Huichin, occupied Ohlone territory, also known to settlers as the Bay Area.
Here at Full Circle we are overjoyed to welcome my co-host Laura Echegaray back from Puerto Rico! More on that on an upcoming episode. In the meantime, we turn our attention to the month of October – can you believe it’s already here! October is known for many things – pumpkin everything, witches, and here on native soil we get to celebrate Indigenous People’s Day. But did you know it’s also Filipino American History Month!?
That’s right! And on tonight’s show…
- We will give a brief history of the migration of Filipinos to this country.
- We will time travel back just a few decade’s to Larry Itliong and the role of Filipinos in the Delano farmworker strike.
- And we will hear from a young Filipino American artist on her use of art as activism, ancestral healing, and a vehicle for nothing less than collective liberation.
FILIPINO AMERICAN NATIONAL HISTORIC SOCIETY OF SONOMA COUNTY:
9/30 – APATURE opening reception @ Kearny Street Workshop / check out Nicole Gervacio’s visual art here! FB event
APATURE has a lot of events in October
10/1 – Filipino-American History Month celebration Asian art Museum
10/4 – Lecture @ San Francisco Public Library (Excelsior Branch)
10/7 – Word + Image: Filipino American Art As Inspiration part of Fourth Filipino American International Book Festival
10/8 – Filipino Poets in the Diaspora
10/14 – “Keeping the Legacies Alive” Celebrating Larry Itliong
NICOLE GERVACIO https://www.nicolegervacio.com/
ROCKY RIVERA http://www.beatrockmusic.com/rockyrivera/
Published by First Voice Apprenticeship
First Voice Apprenticeship is an apprenticeship program at KPFA 94.1 FM in Berkeley and is designed to provide comprehensive broadcast, technical, and administrative skills training in radio. First Voice also aims to build and strengthen community and empower our participants to find their voice and tell their stories.
The First Voice program is based on community building, a collaborative work environment and passing on our skills and stories. We focus on bringing women and people of color into media and work in partnership with Pacifica community radio station KPFA and other community media outlets, both locally and nationally.
First Voice Apprenticeship Mission
To fulfill the missions established by the Pacifica Foundation in 1949 by fostering & promoting media access, opportunity and equity to women, people of color and underserved communities.
These can be summarized as community building and working to build peace.
First Voice has 2 options for Group 45 participants, a 12 month basic curriculum and an advanced curriculum of 18 months [which incorporates full participation in Full Circle, the apprenticeship's weekly broadcast program.]
GROUP AGREEMENTS/GROUP DYNAMICS - 6-8 SESSIONS
- TO BUILD INTER GROUP BONDS AND COHESIVENESS
SOUND FORGE BASICS – 8-10 SESSIONS
- TO LEARN HOW TO USE THE SOUND FORGE APPLICATION TO PROPERLY RECORD, SAVE, EDIT AND PLAYBACK SOUND FILES.
PRODUCTION CONSOLE BASICS – 2 SESSIONS
- TO LEARN THE BASIC OPERATION & USE OF THE AUDIOTRONICS 210 PRODUCTION CONSOLE TO PLAYBACK, RECORD & SAVE STANDARD AUDIO SIGNALS
COMMENTARIES - 4 SESSIONS
- TO UNDERSTAND THE NATURE & OBJECTIVE OF COMMENTARIES
- TO WRITE & RECORD A PERSONAL COMMENTARY
ADOBE AUDITION BASICS – 8 SESSIONS
- TO LEARN HOW TO USE ADOBE AUDITION FOR MULTI TRACK SOUND MIXING
- TO CREATE AN ADOBE AUDITION PROJECT USING NARRATION, SOUND EFFECTS
PSA PRODUCTION - 4 SESSIONS
- UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT & SIGNIFICANCE OF A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
- LEARN THE KPFA PSA GUIDELINES
- WRITE AND PRODUCE A PSA WITH A MUSIC BED
WRITING BASICS - 4 SESSIONS
- TO LEARN THE BASICS OF RADIO WRITING, INCLUDING AN UNDERSTANDING OF
THE DIFFERENT TYPES [SCRIPT, COMMENTARY, FEATURES, NEWS]
- TO UNDERSTAND AND STRENGTHEN YOUR PERSONAL VOICE
-TO COMPLETE A SCRIPTING ASSIGNMENT
VOX POP PRODUCTION – 4 SESSIONS
- TO LEARN THE NATURE OF A VOX POP
- TO PRODUCE AN AIRABLE VOX POP, INCLUDING GATHERING & ASSEMBLING AUDIO FILES
FULL CIRCLE TECH ASSISTANCE – 24-26 SESSIONS
- TO PROVIDE TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR THE FULL CIRCLE SHOW BY HELPING TO BURN CD'S FOR ON AIR PLAYBACK, CUEING CD'S AS NEEDED DURING THE SHOW, ENTERING INFORMATION IN THE CONFESSOR REPORTING SYSTEM, POSTING DATA TO KPFAAPPRENTICE.ORG WEBSITE
INTERVIEWS – BASIC – 4-6 SESSIONS
- TO LEARN THE COMPONENTS TO PRODUCE AN INTERESTING INTERVIEW, INCLUDING
INTERVIEWING TECHNIQUES, AUDIO QUALITY, AND EDITING.
- TO PRODUCE AN INTERVIEW [15-20 MINUTES] THAT IS SUITABLE FOR BROADCAST
AND PLAYBACK ON FULL CIRCLE.
NEWS PRODUCTION BASICS
- TO LEARN THE COMPONENTS NEEDED FOR COMPREHENSIVE BROADCAST NEWS STORIES.
- TO LEARN THE TECHNIQUES FOR RECORDING NEWS STORY COMPONENTS OUTSIDE OF A STUDIO SETTING
- TO PRODUCE AN AIRABLE NEWS STORY.
FIELD/REMOTE PRODUCTION – 2 SESSIONS
– TO PARTICIPANT IN & LEARN THE BASICS OF A FIELD/REMOTE LOCATION PRODUCTION
FULL CIRCLE SHADOWING – 14 SESSIONS
- TO GAIN A BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF HOW A WEEKLY BROADCAST PROGRAM IS
PRODUCED BY ATTENDING & OBSERVING EDITORIAL MEETINGS.
USING SOCIAL MEDIA - 2 SESSIONS
- TO GAIN FAMILIARITY WITH THE CURRENT POPULAR SOCIAL MEDIA OUTLETS, HOW TO ACCESS THEM AND HOW TO POST TO THOSE SITES.
- FORMULATE A GROUP PLAN FOR ONGOING POSTING DURING THE GROUP'S FIRST VOICE PARTICIPATION.
FULL CIRCLE PRODUCTION - 24-26 SESSIONS
-TO PRODUCE, HOST, AND ENGINEER A WEEKLY LIVE RADIO BROADCAST
FIELD/REMOTE PRODUCTION – Additional Opportunities as they occur
The First Voice Apprenticeship Program has a 12 months basic skills option and an 18 month graduate level option during which participants produce, engineer & host Full Circle. Everyone is required to spend one business day each week working at KPFA, as well as two class nights. The dayshift is a three hour shift and apprentices do administrative and production tasks. The dayshift runs on an intergenerational group learning model, with each phase teaching the next, and integrates service to the station, skills acquired in classes, motivation and leadership.
View all posts by First Voice Apprenticeship