Tonight, we will ask a question so fundamental, that it rarely, if ever occurs to us … Just what is money?
On tonight’s show:
• We’ll learn about the creation of money, who gets to create it, and how it circulates in our society.
• And just what is a bank? Why do most of us entrust our funds, our money to them?
• Also… is there a difference between credit and money? And who made the rules about debt and repayment.
• All that tonight on Full Circle.
FRIENDS OF THE OAKLAND PUBLIC BANK
STRIKE DEBT BAY AREA
ALL THE GOLD IN CA … GATLIN BROTHERS
FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY … O’JAYS
BANKS OF MARBLE … EWAN MCLENNAN
In January, members of the Palestinian Youth Movement joined me on Full Circle to discuss the history of colonization and occupation of Palestine by the settler state of Israel.
Tonight, as Israeli attacks persist against Palestinians marching for the right to return to their homeland, PYM’s Nadya Tannous and Ramah Awad join me to:
- Discuss 17-year-old Palestinian political prisoner Ahed Tamimi
- And the latest in her case and its implications for young political prisoners
- Then we will get an update from writer Rawan Yaghi on the ground in Gaza
- And we want to hear from you – what questions do you have for our guests about Palestinian liberation?
All that tonight on Full Circle.
April 9: Event on Syria at UC Berkeley (I’ll be moderating)
April 14: Action in solidarity with Gaza and the Great Return March (details to come)
April 14 and 17: Palestinian Knesset Member Haneen Zoabi is in the Bay Area, the Palestine American Coalition (PAC), UC Berkeley, and Stanford are hosting her.
April 14: (PAC)
April 17: (UC Berkeley)
Palestinian Youth Movement
Gaza Screams for Life, NYT article by Rawan Yaghi
Ahed Tamimi gets eight months in prison after plea deal
Demanding an End to Child Detention: Free Ahed Tamimi and All Palestinian Political Prisoners
April 17th: Palestinian Prisoners Day
Honoring Palestinian Women’s Resistance & Steadfastness
Six months after Hurricanes Irma and Maria we continue the conversation about Puerto Rico or Borinquen and disaster capitalism.
- We welcome Ricardo Ortiz, who will clarify the role of the Fiscal Control Board, or “La Junta,” in the progression of disaster capitalism measures, what is next to come and what can we do about it.
- We will also speak with Daniel Orsini Velez, member of The Center for Political, Educational and Cultural Development, about how Boricuas are de-colonizing health, food, education and more.
All that and great Boricua music from Manicato tonight on Full Circle.
Emilu Berrios (right), 34, performs acupuncture on Nichole Villegas, 26, at the Centro De Apoyo Mutuo (CAM) in Caguas, Puerto Rico. CAM, a community group that launched in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, was inspired by the Black Panther Party. (Tatyana Hopkins/NNPA)
MANICATO ON FACEBOOK
CENTRO DE APOYO MUTUO ON FACEBOOK
CENTRO DE APOYO MUTUO ON THE WEB
Exodus: The Post-Hurricane Puerto Rican Diaspora, mapped by MARTÍN ECHENIQUE MAR 13, 2018
Tonight we will have a conversation about the part of the human experience known as gender…
We welcome Rick Oculto and Nadi Suhaimi from Our Family Coalition. We’ll discuss how an expansive understanding of gender has been colonized out of us and how to begin re-integrating these concepts to build stronger communities.
Our Family Coalition
On KPFA’s Full Circle, we discover the story of Irish immigrants who were induced to join the U.S.Army and were sent to the Republic of Texas to fight in the newly declared Mexican American War of 1836. However, these newly arrived Irish Catholics soon reached the opinion that the U.S. Army was an invader of the lands of the people of Mexico.
Airing this show, we will hear about…
… The U.S. government’s pretext to march south from the negotiated border of Texas to seize further land all the way down to the Rio Grande.
… The use of freshly arrived European conscripts to build the ranks of the newly professionalized U.S. military.
… The discrimination and harm done to the large wave of arriving Catholic immigrants as well as the Catholics of Mexico and the Caribbean.
… And much much music both Gaelic and Spanish, Corredos and piper bands, inspired by the actions of the San Patricios Battalion.
On tonight’s show we discuss the significance of women in media. You will be introduced to some of the newest members of the first voice apprenticeship program. We will share why being in radio has been so life changing for each of us. That’s tonight on Full Circle.
On tonight’s show, we are joined live in studio by two artists – a filmmaker and a poet.
We’ll share clips from Karina Epperlein’s film Finding the Gold Within, which features poet Darius Simpson, who will perform live from his latest work Conversion Theory!!!
And … it is fund drive time here at KPFA. We will be asking for your support for both the station and our beloved Apprenticeship Program.
All that tonight on Full Circle.
Finding the Gold Within