Prisoners nationwide are on strike. Their demands? To be treated as human beings. Tonight we discuss the ongoing, nationwide prison strike with activists supporting efforts of people on the inside. We speak with Cole Dorsey of Oakland IWOC, Maru Mora Villalpando of NWDC Resistance/Resistencia al NWDC, and Noelle Hanrahan of Prison Radio.
We’ll also hear from voices from the inside- imprisoned activists and revolutionaries speaking on conditions, labor, and our ever-expanding prison industrial system (courtesy of Prison Radio).
To learn more the incarcerated workers organizing committee and read the 2018 list of demands, check out The Website Incarceratedworkers.org
Learn more about Uhuru Rowe and read his writings on The Blog, Conscious Prisoner
Check out Northwest Detention Center Resistance, the undocumented-led movement working to end the detention of immigrants and stop all deportations
Hear voices of prisoners recorded by Noelle Hanrahan on Prison Radio
Ways to get involved:
– Follow the above organizations on social media to get updates and get involved!
– Contact your local IWOC chapter and subscribe to their mailing list
– Participate in phone zaps (more info here)
– Write a Solidarity Letter to a striking prisoner
– Become a penpal (info here)
– Participate in direct material support nights for prisoners released from facilities- as per prison practice- at the dead of night (contact your local IWOC chapter to learn more)
– Spread word of prisoners organizing and speaking out
– Stay vigilant